Saturday, January 11, 2014

Make Your Own Canvas Prints | DIY

I love the look of photos being printed on canvas, but I do not love the price! Unless you've got some great coupon, they can range from $40 on up! That's definitely not in our budget for home decor!

After perusing lots of other blogs, it seems the easiest and most cost effective way to achieve a similar look is to do it yourself!

Here ya go!

Materials:


  • Photos of your choice in matte print (I used one 11x16 and three 8x10 photos)
  • Canvas of the same size (I get mine at Hobby Lobby...two 8x10's for $3.99!!)
  • Matte Modge Podge (I prefer matte photos and Modge Podge...I don't like glossy, shiny pictures)
  • Black acrylic paint (Hobby Lobby has acrylics ranging from $3.99 on up)
  • Two foam paint brushes







Make It!:


  • Using your foam brush, paint your canvas with the Modge Podge and 'glue' your photo on top. Make sure you get the corners really well to help prevent your photo from curling. 
  • Once the photo is dried to the canvas (or mostly dried), paint over your photo with the Modge Podge. Don't freak out! It's supposed to be milky white on the photo! Trust me, I will dry clear!



















  • Be careful here and make sure you use long, even strokes. You can put it on fairly thick, but if you see little bubbles, you'll need to smooth those out.
  • Let that dry...takes about 45 minutes.
  • Next, using your other foam brush, get a good bit of acrylic paint and paint the sides of the canvas.


  • Using the tip of the brush, make sure you slide it in between any gaps of the canvas and print so that it gets painted and no white is showing.
  • For an extra 'vintage' look, I like to get just a tiny bit of paint on the brush and tap it on the edge of the photos.

It's really easy, and fun to make. I really like the way the Modge Podge gives a bit of texture to the print. You can see the strokes on it...the prints aren't perfect, which is what I love! I made a bunch to give as Christmas gifts!

Let me know if you try it!



post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment