Friday, December 6, 2013

Easy, Healthy 10 Bean Soup

The other day I found some 10 bean soup in the bulk section of Sprouts. For some reason, it sounded SO GOOD so I scooped some up.

Of course, when I got home I had no idea what to do with it...I've never made a soup from dry beans before. 

Luckily, there are lot of recipes out there and I used this one with a few modifications.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it!


10 Bean Soup

(modified from Bev's Kitchen)
  • 1 lb (2 cups) of your favorite bean soup mix (soaked overnight and rinsed off)
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large yellow or white onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • To taste: dried basil, dried oregano, a dash of dried fennel, fresh or dried thyme, or use 2-3 T of Herbs de Provence
  • 4 cups broth
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes in juice
  • Grey salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • Cubed ham pieces (optional, but adds a ton of flavor!)
Toss the soaked soup mix into a large pot with the broth and bring to a boil.

While that's getting started saute the veggies, and add the seasonings. Saute for about 5 minutes or until they start to soften.

Add the veggies to the soup pot, and toss in the canned tomatoes and the cubed ham.

Partially cover and simmer for about an hour. If the soup starts to get thick, add more water. 

Taste and season accordingly!

This soup was a hit in our home! Matt kept telling me how delicious it was...WIN! 

Have we connected on Facebook yet? I love meeting new people!

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment