Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why We Must Read Food Labels!

So the other day I was at the grocery store and was reminded in a big way why it's so important for me to read food labels!

I was in the sauces aisle looking at the varieties of pasta sauces. I have a few favorite brands, but am always willing to try something new, especially if it's going to be healthy!

Well, to my great delight I saw this lovely jar of sauce with a pretty label that just shouted, "Buy me! Buy me!"

The label said, "Eating Right. Uniting flavor and nutrition."

Done! Sold. This is definitely healthy sauce and it costs about the same as my favorite brand. One of our favorite brands has tomato puree, tomato sauce, onion, salt, olive oil, garlic and a dash of sugar.
Super simple, nothing else needs to be added, right?

So I grabbed a couple jars and started walking away. But something was nagging at me to read the ingredients label. But why? The label says that it's about eating right and talks about nutrition. Plus it's pretty!

To get past that nagging feeling, I looked at the ingredients and was so surprised at what was in this PASTA SAUCE!

Refined fish oil
Pork gelatin
Sodium polyphosphate

Yuck. I don't need, nor do I want those ingredients in my food, especially something as simple as pasta sauce.

I could totally make the sauce myself, but I'm not 'there' yet on being really prepared for meals and having lots of pasta sauce in the freezer. :)

My point in this post is that we (I) have got to make sure to READ our food labels and not be fooled by pretty pictures. I'm so glad I went with my gut and looked at that label!

Have you been surprised at the ingredients on some of the foods you've purchased?



post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment