Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Homemade Hazelnut Spread | Easy Recipe

My family loves Nutella. I mean, who doesn't?

Side note: What we don't love about it is that it contains palm oil. While we're not what you'd call treehuggers, my husband and I strive to take care of what we've been blessed with. And one way we've decided to take care of our planet is to stop buying products with palm oil. If you're not familiar with the reasons why the use of palm oil is harmful, then take a look at the Rainforest Action Network's Palm Oil Fact Sheet

So I put out a request on my Healthy Life, Happy Life community page for alternatives to Nutella. I received some great responses, one being a recipe for homemade hazelnut spread! Woot!

The boys and I made it today and it is so good!

Here's the recipe I received. My adjustments are in red.

Homemade Hazelnut Spread

1 cup blanched hazelnuts
1/2 cup canned, full-fat coconut milk (I used boxed coconut milk)
1/4 cup coconut nectar or maple syrup (I couldn't find coconut nectar and I don't like real maple syrup so I used about 1/8 c of agave nectar and 1/8 c of sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 T. coconut oil or ghee (I used coconut oil)
pinch of Celtic sea salt (I used grey salt)

Toast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; remove the skins if they weren't already removed by using a damp cloth to rub them. (I highly suggest you buy hazelnuts without the skins if you can. It was a royal pain to remove them myself!)
Put nuts in food processor and pulse until creamy- scrape bowl a couple of times 
Add coconut milk, nectar or syrup, cocoa, vanilla, coconut oil and salt and continue pulsing and scraping sides until creamy.
Store in the fridge! Yum!

The flavor of this is on point...so tasty! Ya'll definitely have to try it...if you do, please let me know how you like it!

I'd love to connect with you in my Facebook communities! You can like my Healthy Life, Happy Life page or join my Healthy, Happy Life group (this is a closed group). It's growing and we're having a lot of fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment