Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dish Soap Comparison - Shaklee vs. Seventh Generation

Here's a question you might not ponder very often: How long does your bottle of dish soap last you?

About two weeks ago, I ran out of my Shaklee Dish Soap and had forgotten to add it to my most recent Shaklee order. Grr. I was super peeved because I love our dish soap, but didn't want to pay shipping on one single bottle. Unfortunately, I'd just placed a HUGE order and really couldn't justify buying anything else that soon.

I grabbed a bottle of Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid at the store. It was $3.78 for 25 oz. OK, not a bad price for a natural cleaner that I can have right away. Since I'm always thinking about cost and getting the most bang for our buck, I started thinking, "Well, this is cheaper, this may be our new dish soap."

Now let me back up a bit and talk about Shaklee's soap. A 16 oz bottle costs $6.90 (member price), plus shipping. What?!? Almost SEVEN dollars for dish soap? I know what you're thinking. "No freaking way, lady."

Hear me out. I was seriously skeptical about it before I tried it. It came in my Get Clean Starter Kit, so I felt obliged to use it. But I knew how much it cost and always rolled my eyes at it. I'd had it for several months and was waiting til I finally got rid of my other dish soap.

OK, we started using the dish soap on our about October 15. I am rinsing or washing some kind of dish all day long. We use dish soap all day long.

We ran out of the 16 oz bottle of soap on or about January 2. That's 2 1/2 months of using the same bottle of dish soap! How long does your bottle of dish soap last you? A few weeks? Maybe a month, tops?

Fast forward to later that day when I was doing dishes for the umpteenth time. (Have I mentioned how much I hate being in the kitchen, yet I'm in there all the livelong day??)

I was sorely disappointed with Seventh Generation's soap.

  1. I've been using it since about Jan 3, and it's about 1/4 empty.
  2. It DUMPS out every time I tip it over just to get a squeeze. Annoying! So annoying!
  3. It works ok, not great. I have to use more than I want to in order to get some dishes really clean.
  4. I'll be needing a new bottle of dish soap in just over a week at this rate. Which means the bottle will last 2 weeks. No bueno.
  5. $3.78 x 2 = $7.56 for one month of soap. For 2 1/2 months, it's gonna run $18.90
Why Shaklee is better

  1. The dish soap is so concentrated that you only need a few drops to deal with greasy dishes. Seriously. 
  2. It lasts so much longer than store brands!
  3. It doesn't dump out when you turn the bottle over. You have to actually squeeze it out, which lets you decide how much soap you want to use!
  4. For 2 1/2 months, it's going to cost you less than $10!
This is just another (justified!) reason why I'm choosing to continue Shaklee-izing our home! Our products are safe, they work, and they're saving us money! Woot!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my personal dish soap revelation!

Join me on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments :

Post a Comment