Friday, December 21, 2012

Mmmm...Homemade Honey Wheat Bread

We LOVE bread in this house. LOVE IT. But we're also very picky about our bread. It has to be just the right texture, just the right amount of wheat, and just the right amount of flavor. Store bought bread is just not very good (in our opinion), has ingredients that we try to keep out of our home, and can be quite expensive.

So, I scoured the web searching for the perfect recipe and found a great one here at 100 Days of Real Food.  I changed the flour contents to 60% wheat flour and 40% white flour. For us, too much wheat is too heavy tasting. We have been known to eat an entire loaf in less than 2 days.



Here's my version of her yummy recipe! Enjoy!
I only use a bread machine. Making bread where I have to actually knead the dough is a disaster for me 100% of the time.

Ingredients
  • 2 ¼ cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 cups white flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ cups warm water (not too hot or it will kill the yeast)
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted butter)
  • 1 packet or 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
Place the ingredients in order in your bread machine. I use the regular bread setting with the lightest crust. Once it's ready, I pop it out of the pan and rub butter all over the warm bread. Yum!


No comments :

Post a Comment