Friday, September 7, 2012

What's for Dinner - Veggie Tacos!

My sweet hubs, Matt, is seriously the best cook EVER. I'm not kidding. Family and friends who've eaten his meals will all agree. I'm a very lucky girl, because I despise cooking. I'm not good at it at all. I think it's partly because I really don't care about food. I eat (mostly) because I have to. If left to my own devices, I would eat cereal, yogurt, and PB&J sandwiches everyday. But if Matt's cooking, then I'll eat!

The past few months we've been eating grilled veggies several times a week. We (I mean Matt) grills up some zucchini from our garden, eggplant, bell peppers, red onion, and carrots. He makes a super yummy marinade for the veggies, pops them on the grill, and we've got a healthy, satisfying dinner!

Last week, he decided to kick it up a notch and make some ah-mazing veggies tacos. He grilled aforementioned veggies, made some sweet potato fries, whipped up a tasty sauce, and put it all on a homemade tortilla from Central Market.

Oh, my goodness. They are so, so yummy!

Here's the pics of the yummy goodness, followed by his recipe. I really want him to write a cookbook. It would totally sell. Anyone know how to get something like that started?

Enjoy!

Veggie Tacos
Eggplant sliced thick, otherwise it will be mushy
Zucchini
Carrots
Red onion
Asparagus
Or, any other veggies you like on the grill!
Veggie Marinade (recipe below)
Sweet potato fries (homemade or frozen...your choice!)
Avocado
Taco Sauce (recipe below)

Marinade for Veggies
1/3 C dark soy sauce
2 T honey
2 T cane syrup
1 teas chili sauce

Mix these ingredients, then add the following:
1/3 C (to start) canola oil.
Using a whisk, drizzle the canola oil into the mixture.  Whisk until the oil emulsifies and thickens. Add up to an extra 1/4 C if necessary.

1/2 teas sesame seed oil.

Pour mixture into large lidded container or plastic bag, add veggies (except sweet potatoes) and give them a good mix. The marinade just needs to cover the veggies, you don't need to let them sit for any length of time.

Taco Sauce
Chipolte chili pepper sauce (from canned chipolte chili's)
Fresh lime juice
1/4 c mayonaisse
1/2 clove fresh minced garlic
A few pinches of smoked paprika

Mix all ingredients to taste.


Place veggies on grill and cook to desired doneness.

Chop veggies to desired size and add to warm tortillas, drizzle on some yummy taco sauce, and ENJOY!

Let me know how you like them! We hope you love them as much as we do!



No comments :

Post a Comment